Monday, April 8, 2013

Personal Essay Process Writing


            When I first sat down to write this story, I was conflicted between telling two different stories. I knew that I wanted to speak to my anxiety in some way, but I had the choice of talking about my own personalized anxiety or that which I feel for my sister who has faced her own hard times. In both cases, I knew that they would not be easy to write because my experience with anxiety has not always had many defining moments. In fact, I often find myself grappling with a lack of justification for the anxiousness that I am feeling.

For this piece, I decided to pick a concrete example from my own life and relate it to my childhood relation with my grandfather. Whenever I think of anxiety, I automatically think of him because he was the most nervous person I ever knew. I am hoping that the transition between these two experiences flows naturally and it is not alienating to the reader. Since this is one of the first times that I have ever written a piece of this nature, I am interested to get everyone’s feedback on my strong points and my weak points. I look forward to reading everyone’s work and to a good first workshop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment