Friday, May 17, 2013

Final Story Pitch

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to check in with some potential story ideas for the final project. At this point, I am still undecided about which topic to go with, but I am going to solidify my choice over the weekend.

Idea 1- For my first idea, I thought about doing an extension of my last article, which was loosely related to farm work. This time around, I would ask Lille for contacts who do work in the South West Michigan farm industry and interview migrant workers who work in the fields. I would hopefully be able to go out for them during a day of work, as well as doing sit-down interviews.

Idea 2- My second idea would be to do a story on the Kalamazoo College arboretum. There is a senior history major who just did extensive research on the history of the arb and I think it would be cool to explore that (how it came into the college's possession, prior historical use, plans for the future). I am going to do more looking into this and see what I find.

Idea 3- My third idea was potentially doing a story about the Henderson Castle. I noticed that Suzanne also had pitched this idea, so I would only do it if she did not take it. After speaking with my boss at the mail center (she's been at the college 30 years and she knows all the business), she said there is a secretary in the theater department who used to own it. She and her husband were K students and they would always go on walks past it and say "we are going to own that someday" and they did! Unfortunately, they lost the property due to economic troubles a few years ago, but I still think the story would be worth exploring as a whole.

I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas in class! See you all on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment